Sky, Aureo. “No DAPL!” 1 November 2016. No DAPL!
- What role does white supremacy have in the creation and perpetuation of environmental racism?
- How is it significant that both Standing Rock and Flint are sites of historic discrimination?
- Where does environmental racism exist in your community/communities, what perpetuates and contributes to these issues?
- How does positionality effect how you can relate to issues of environmental racism? How are you privileged or negatively impacted by this issue due to your identities?
- How can you show solidarity while taking into account positionality?
Week 1: Introduction
- Takruri, Dena. “Environmental Racism Explained.” AJ+ Youtube, January 29, 2016. Accessed September 11, 2016.Environmental Racism Explained
- Pulido, Laura. “Rethinking Environmental Racism: White Privilege and Urban Development in Southern California”. Annals of the Association of American Geographers, Vol. 90, No. 1. 2000. Rethinking Environmental Racism
- Highsmith, Andrew. “Flint’s Toxic Water Crisis was 50 Years in the Making.” Los Angeles Times. January 29, 2016. Flint’s Toxic Water Crisis was 50 Years in the Making
- Stegman, Erik. “The Story Behind Standing Rock”. The Aspen Institute. 28 September 2016. The Story Behind Standing Rock
- Brave Bull Allard, LaDonna. “Why the Founder of Standing Rock Sioux Camp Can’t Forget the Whitestone Massacre.” Yes! Magazine. 03 September 2016. Why the Founder of Standing Rock Sioux Camp Can’t Forget the Whitestone Massacre
- Purdy, Jedediah. “Environmentalism’s Racist History.” The New Yorker. 13 Aug 2015. Environmentalism’s Racist History
Week 2: Positionality
- Crenshaw, Kimberle. “Mapping the Margins: Intersectionality, Identity Politics, and Violence against Women of Color.” Stanford Law Review 43, no. 6. 1991. Mapping the Margins: Intersectionality, Identity Politics, and Violence against Women of Color
- Thomas, Adele. “Stolen People on Stolen Land: Decolonizing While Black.” RaceBaitR. May 24, 2016. Stolen People on Stolen Land: Decolonizing While Black
- Hayes, Kelly. “How To Talk About #NoDAPL: A Native Perspective.” Transformative Spaces. 27 October 2016. How To Talk About #NoDAPL: A Native Perspective.
- Conner, Abre’. “Water Activists, Your White Privilege Is Showing.” Truthout. 08 June 2016. Water Activists, Your White Privilege Is Showing.