Gusovsky, Dina. “America’s Water Crisis Goes Beyond Flint, Michigan”. 24 March 2016. America’s Water Crisis Goes Beyond Flint, Michigan.
- How does colonialism exist in a modern context and how is it maintained as an institution?
- Who is affected by modern colonial projects, who benefits from them, and who maintains them?
- How is capitalism colonizing? How is capitalism inherently a racist institution in the United States?
- How does capitalism maintain white supremacy at the expense of People of Color?
- Can activism and change successfully occur within a capitalist structure?
Week 3: Colonialism: An Ongoing Project
- Roberts, Dorothy. “The Invention of Race.” In Fatal Invention by Dorothy Roberts, 3-25. New York: The New Press, 2011. The Invention of Race
- Tuhiwai Smith, Linda. “Colonizing Knowledge”. In Decolonizing Methodologies: Research and Indigenous Peoples. Zed Books Ltd: London, 1999. Colonizing Knowledges
- Kauanui, J. Kēhaulani. “‘A Structure, Not an Event’: Settler Colonialism and Enduring Indigeneity”A Structure, Not an Event: Settler Colonialism and Enduring Indigeneity
- “We’re not Protesters, We are Land Protectors.” YouTube Video.,1:52, posted by “BuzzFeed,” September 09, 2016. We’re not Protesters, We are Land Protectors.
- Ostler, Jeffrey. “Introduction”. The Plains Sioux and U.S. Colonialism from Lewis and Clark to Wounded Knee. Cambridge University Press, 2006. The Plains Sioux and U.S. Colonialism from Lewis and Clark to Wounded Knee
- White, Joni Sarah. “Seven Generations for Standing Rock”. Counterpunch.18 November 2016. Seven Generations for Standing Rock.
- Mays, Kyle T. “Flint: Not Just a Black Issue”. Indian Country Today Media Network. 25 Jan 2016. Flint: Not Just A Black Issue.
Week 4: Capitalism: Money Matters But Do Lives or Land?
- Foster, Bellamy John. “The Absolute General Law of Environmental Degradation Under Capitalism.” Capitalism Nature Socialism 3, no. 3. 1992. 77-81. The Absolute General Law of Environmental Degradation Under Capitalism
- Lourde, Audre. “The Master’s Tools Will Never Dismantle The Master’s House”. Sister Outsider. 1984. The Master’s Tools Will Never Dismantle The Master’s House.
- Felton, Ryan. “How Flint Traded Safe Drinking Water for Cost-Cutting Plan that Didn’t Work.” The Guardian. 23 Jan 2016. How Flint Traded Safe Drinking eWater for Cost-Cutting Plan That Didn’t Work
- “Dakota Access Pipeline Facts.” Energy Transfer. August 2016. Dakota Access Pipeline Facts.
- Gardner, Justin. “Uncovered Emails Raise Suspicions of Oil Company Paying Police for DAPL Crackdown”. The Free Thought Project. 27 November 2016. Uncovered Emails Raise Suspicions of Oil Company Paying Police for DAPL Crackdown.
- Coulthard, Glen. “For Our Nations to Live, Capitalism Must Die”. Unsettling America. 5 November 2013. For Our Nations to Live, Capitalism Must Die.